[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Bizarre tesla coil on E-Bay [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Bizarre tesla coil on E-Bay

>>Crazy dual layer primary with a crazy amount of turns
While the prevailing List wisdom suggests that such high aspect ratio
secondaries are less than optimal, I'm not sure there is a comparable norm
for primaries.  I think that as long as coupling is appropriate, I've never
seen a suggestion that there may be a too-large primary configuration.  If
the primary inductance is too small, the primary impedance is low and this
causes spark gap losses to be higher.  Everything else being equal, lower
frequencies result in lower wiring resistance losses, and lower frequencies
suggest larger toploads which improve performance by having a larger charge
reservoir.  Everything I've done suggests that Bigger is Better.  As a
means to achieve these goals without building a primary that wouldn't fit
through a door I built my primary as a two-layer job with a layer of lexan
between for insulation.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA