[Home][2019 Index] [TCML] Pulse capacitor grounding [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Pulse capacitor grounding

This is not strictly a tesla coil question but it is closely related and I can't find an answer elsewhere.

I am building a quarter shrinker based on a large (100 uF, 22 KV, 24 KJ) Aerovox pulse capacitor. This is a 2-terminal unit. My question concerns grounding. I plan on grounding one of the terminals. Should I also ground the case or just leave it floating? My ohmmeter shows no connection between the case and either of the two terminals. My capacitance meter shows negligible capacitance (5 nF) between the case and either of the two terminals. My current thinking is just to let the case float and keep it away from any conductors.

Steve White
Cedar Rapids, Iowa