[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] MMC's [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] MMC's

Hi Adam,

The capacitors from Information Limited are well-made pulse foil-film-oil capacitors made by Condenser Products (CP). CP used to sell "Tesla Coil" capacitors like these directly to Tesla Coilers. However, some coilers on the Pupman list found that these caps could build up internal pressure when overvolted due to gas formation and corona at the plate boundaries. The cylindrical shape did not handle pressure as gracefully as box-shaped cases used by Maxwell and other pulse cap manufacturers. Because of liability concerns with amateur coilers, CP stopped selling these to non-professional coilers and non-business entities over 20 years ago. You may want to search for Condenser Products in the Pupman archive for more information

That being said, CP caps are very well-made pulse caps. However, some Pupman coilers did encounter problems when using their 20 kVAC CP caps in 14.4 pig or 15 kV NST-powered system. Since these caps are NOT self-healing, when abused they will either fatally fail shorted or they may even "rapidly disassemble". Many professionals using these caps often specified CP caps rated for either 25 kVAC or even 32 kVAC.

As mentioned by others, an MMC capacitor provides greater flexibility, self healing, and no oily mess if/when it fails. However, some initial assembly is required.

Good luck,

Bert

Adam James wrote:
Trying to understand why I should build a MMC When I can purchase a single
Capacitor from Information unlimited that would work for my upcoming coil.
A .014u/20KVAC is only $70 versus much more $ to buy and use
comparable single Caps to build a mmc?
Adam James