[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] Coupling [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Coupling

It also needs to be said that highest coupling is not the goal - more is
not necessarily better.  Performance will generally increase with
increasing coupling, until an ill-defined threshold is reached.  Increasing
coupling beyond that point will result in what's called "racing sparks" -
sparks across portions of the surface of the secondary coil that can
quickly destroy the secondary.  You need to design the coil in such a way
that the distance between primary and secondary can be experimentally
adjusted to vary the coupling, typically by raising the secondary.  For
most coils, using a flat spiral primary provides adequate coupling when the
plane of the primary is near the bottom end of the secondary.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA