[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] Excited [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Excited

I stumbled across a cool trick with Johns phase angle controller when I
built mine many years back. In my basement, where I was building my TC, I
had a shelf of Halloween props. Among them was a strobe light with an
adjustable frequency. I put two and two together and figured why not? I was
able to match the flash of the strobe to the rotation of the spinning
electrode on the synchronous motor and watch the actual range of adjustment
of the phase angle and verified that it swept across the full range of the
stationary electrodes. It was really cool to see something moving that fast
as though it were standing perfectly still. It did not wander at all so I
knew I had the strobe locked into a solid, usable frequency. I do not
recall the exact position, but when I got the coil up and running I used
the strobe light again to see the position of the electrodes during optimum
streamer performance. I believe just using the naked eye that it was
roughly 1/4 inch before direct alignment. So you want the timing to be a
little retarded, not dead center, and definately not advanced (yes, I have
a lot of experience timing automobile ignitions). I doubt this will work
for everybodies setup and it was just pure luck that I got the electrode in
range on the first try but for $20 its worth a shot if it saves hours
fiddling around. The only technical mumbo jumbo I may add to this is that
you probably want to use the same leg of your breaker panel for the TC,
motor and strobe light. Then again, being exactly 180 degrees off between
components would likely produce the same results.

My two cents, and probably all its worth.

 - Brandon, NJ USA