From: Tesla [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lux, Jim
Sent: February 15, 2021 1:14 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] sync motor

On 2/15/21 9:48 AM, Gary Gaspar wrote:
> Shuan yes it is a hard thing now to find. Can give problems finding the
> sweet spot. My comment had fun with strobe light & the SRSG with the sweet
> spot.
>
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 10:19 AM shaun <snoggle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have read the archives for days looking for leads on cheep sync motors,
>> always day or several years too late to get in on the action. I have been
>> looking at the oriental motors that are synchronous but don't lock at the
>> same phase each time, so I would have to use a 1800 rpm with 4 contacts
for
>> 120 bpm so where ever it locked would be in sync, assuming 90 degree
locks.

Yeah, there's not much in the way of things using synchronous motors
these days(do they even make teletype machines any more?), so the
surplus is drying / dried up.

I wonder if one could use a variable speed drive (they're fairly
inexpensive now) and a regular induction motor (or a PSC), with some
sort of feedback control to keep the phasing (the load on a rotary gap
is pretty constant, so you should be able to slowly "drift" the phasing
by running it slightly slow or fast.

One might also be able to use a *big* stepper or variable reluctance
motor, but like sync motors, those are less common these days as surplus.

I've always wanted to really explore a triggered blast gap, but haven't
had the time over the years. One should be able to reliably fire it at
any desired phase.