Subject: Frequency calculations

>From gowin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Fri Dec 13 11:58:50 1996

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:59:12 -0500
From: Dan Gowin<gowin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Frequency calculations

Tesla List wrote:

>From Esondrmn@xxxxxxx  Thu Dec 12 14:39:51 1996
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 12:51:00 -0500
From:Esondrmn@xxxxxxx
To:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx

All,

There was a Tesla Math Formulary published on this list on 8-10-95 - courtesy
of Richard Quick I believe.  I was doing some calculations last night on my
new small coil and found a problem with equation # 6: Frequency of Coil.  The
formula given is: F=300,000 / T x W x pi x (.9144 / 36) x 4  where f =
frequency of the coil in khz, T = number of turns, W = width of the coil in
inches.

Using this formula, I get a number quite a bit lower (like 40 or 5% lower)
than I get using wheelers equation, caclulating the self capacitance then
calculating the resonate frequency .  I have measured the inductance of my
present coil and the self capacitance and the frequency and know these other
methods work as they should.

Has anyone else tried using this formula?

Ed Sonderman

Ed,
	In Foster's book on elctromagnetics I use the formulae
designed for circular pole antanae. And, Brent turner uses the
same formula in his book. But It's probably a good idea to calculate
your coils parameters ten ways from sunday. Sorry, I have not
used the "Richard Q." equation.

          1.75(h/d)^0.2
 (1*10^9)    (Fr*d)        = Nt

 h = height of coil