[Home][2022 Index] [TCML] Re: Series capacitance on secondary coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Series capacitance on secondary coil

While in theory, one could hook up an external capacitor in *parallel* with
the secondary coil, the voltage rating of such a capacitor would have to be
100's of kV and careful consideration of corona would be necessary.  I
vaguely recall discussion many years ago, possibly in the context of a
solid state coil, of placing a VERY long series string of polypropylene
caps, internally on the central axis of the secondary, to minimize the need
for a topload.  An MMMMMMMMC, if you will.  I don't recall the outcome.

But regardless, it's not a viable method of tuning as there's no easy way
to vary the capacitance.  Primary turns is hands down the simplest way.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA