From: "Tesla Coil List" <tcml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tesla Coil List" <tcml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Amir Mojarradi" <amojarradi@xxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 4, 2023 1:11:06 PM
Subject: [TCML] Pole Transformer Coil Design Guidance

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could ask for guidance on a Tesla coil I am working on - I want to make the smallest Tesla coil (primary and secondary) with the supplies I have:

- 10kVA pole transformer (240V/14400V)
- a Lincoln Arc Welder (as a current-limiting ballast for the pole transformer)
- (2) 0.22uf 50kv Maxwell capacitors (could be in series for 0.11uf)
- (2) 0.03uf, 35kv Maxwell capacitors (could be in parallel for 0.06uf)
- Copper Tube Gap Spark Gap
- Async Rotary Spark Gap w/ Black and Decker Motor

If I run the pole transformer with the current-limiting welder set to the lowest setting (ie, 40A), what would be the optimal tank capacitance value to use?

Also, on the lowest setting of the welder, what would be the advised minimum diameter for a secondary coil (ie, would a “4 inch secondary be too small?) and the minimum thickness of a primary coil (ie, would 1/4” copper tubing be too thin)?

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Will report back with photos as I progress!

Thanks!
Amir