[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Fabulous GMHEICSLR Cup Rules of Engagement

Hi Jim,

At 08:26 AM 04/22/2000 +0100, you wrote:

>> 3.	It must be operated as a "Tesla coil".  Capacitive discharge or CW is
>> fine.  No "funny business" like pumping 500kV into the base of the coil
>> from another 10KVA Tesla coil system ;-))
>

>What about using that spare 250 kV primary capacitor... So the coil only
>lasts one shot..
>
>I'd suggest that the rules require it be operated repetitively.

Hi Jim,

	Good idea!  That would stop much of the "funny business".  We will add
rule 3.5...

If I remember right (I have had this record for so looong now! :-))) I got
two arcs at the 13.25 distance.  I then moved the electrodes to ~14 inches
and tried again.  That was when the secondary shorted.  I suspect that if
the distance is so long the arc does not connect, much of the energy is
left in the secondary of the coil contributing to failure...  I never said
this was easy ;-)))

====================================
GMHEICSLR "Rules of Engagement"

1.	You must use a "GM" (not Ford, Toyota, etc.) style high energy ignition
coil.  It may be from any aftermarket manufacturer as long as it is a
direct replacement for the OEM part.  Reasonable modifications are fine.

2.	You can only use one coil at a time.  Of course, you can burn up 10s,
100s, or 1000s of coils in attempting to beat the present GMHEICSLR ;-))

3.	It must be operated as a "Tesla coil".  Capacitive discharge or CW is
fine.  No "funny business" like pumping 500kV into the base of the coil
from another 10KVA Tesla coil system ;-))

3.5	The coil must operate at least twice at the given spark length.

4.	Since this really IS the world's record, any person my make the attempt
weather they be on this list or not.

5.	You must be willing to disclose any details of the setup you use to
achieve the GMHEICSLR.  This maintains competitiveness and insures
verification.  This should not be a problem because even when you know
everything, is still is not at all easy!

6.	It has been noted that this type of coil can be very dangerous.  As
always, be extremely careful!

7.	Other rules may be added if needed but we will NOT nit pick...

The present record is 13.25 inches which was achieved twice, before the
coil blew, on November 22, 1988 by your's truly.

Cheers,

	Terry
 	"Still" proud holder the coveted GMHEICSLR and now the fabulous GMHEICSLR
Cup! ;-))