[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil ideas for experiments

In a message dated 4/14/2000 12:58:24 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<
 Actually, you'll need 10^12 W/cm^2.  I talked to one of the optics profs
today.
 We worked out a nice plan:

 Pulsed (CO2, I think) laser at 10mJ per pulse, 10ns Pulses, at 10 pulses per
 second.  Focus the beam down to a spot size of 10um, and you have your
 10^12W/cm^2.

 The down side is that this is still a pretty huge laser requring some
 interesting optics to handle the high power.  Also remember that m ost lasers
 are less than 10% efficient:  put in 1kW, and you'll get at most 100W laser
 (continuous).  I'm not certian how much power input would be needed for this
 device, however.

 The prof did say that one could use a prism, or accousto-optic modulation to
 make figures that the arc could/would follow.  I must admit, it would be
pretty
 sweet to see a TC spit out streamers that trace out a square, circle, or my
 name  :-)

 I still feel that using a laser this large in a non-laboratory environment
 could
 have some serious safety problems.

So with 10% efficiency, 10 mJ per pulse, and 10 pulses per second (What's
with you and the number 10?), it should use about 36 watts (joules) and hour
with the assumption that 10mJ is equal to 1/100th of a watt.  So then, if