Re: ion generator (fwd)

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:15:41 +1030
From: Matthew Smith <matt@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ion generator (fwd)

> i picked up an ionizer at goodwill for a buck, opening it up, there is a
> mains to ?? xfr, and what looks like the basic cap & diode voltage multiplier.
> without a HV probe, is there a way guestimating The voltage w/ the values of the
> cap? Obviously, I'll have to measure the output of the xfr too.

You could try removing the multiplier and putting a low AC voltage (say
6V) on the primary of the transformer and measuring the secondary
voltage (start on the 750VAC range of your multimeter and work down).
This will give you an idea of the turns ratio, which you can multiply by
your line voltage to find out what the normal secondary voltage of the
transformer would be.

If your multimeter can measure inductance, you can also calculate your
turns ratio from this.

If you can see all the diodes and capacitors and it's a normal
Cockroft-Walton configuration, multiply your secondary voltage by the
number of capacitors and this should give you an approximate value for
the final output voltage.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith