Re: Marx generator (fwd)

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:35:43 -0700
From: Gomez Addams <gomez@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx generator (fwd)

On Nov 21, 2005, at 11:55 AM, High Voltage list wrote:

> Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:11:52 +0100
> From: Herwig Roscher <herwig.roscher@xxxxxx>
> To: hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Marx generator

> However I would like to ask the more experienced builders for some
> help:
>
> Q1:
> The distance, a voltage of 1 kV can jump, usually is said to be
> 0.013". For Marx generators I found values of about 0.04" as well.
>
> Other Marx builders claim:
>
> 0.052"		Rapp
> 0.045"		Steve Ward
> 0.052"		Kronjaeger
> 0.050"		Mike Gilchrist
>
> My system jumps only 0.027"/kV. Why? Is this a question of the form
> of the electrodes?

Yes.  Breakdown voltage of an air gap is dependent on the shape and
curvature
of the electrodes.  This is usually specified in sparking distance
charts.

The smaller the radius of electrode, the lower the breakdown voltage /
distance.
Needle points will give the lowest breakdown voltage / distance.
Larger spheres
will increase the voltage / distance.