Re: Marx generator (fwd)

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:33:54 +0100
From: Herwig Roscher <herwig.roscher@xxxxxx>
To: High Voltage list <hvlist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Marx generator (fwd)

Malcolm Watts wrote to the High Voltage list:

> In theory, mine should have been 250 - 300kV when
> erected. I got about  7" sparks.

Hi Malcolm,

This is 0.023" / kV. As my system produces 0.027" / kV, I'm in the
ball park  :-)

> Gap settings are rather critical.
For a loading voltage of 20 kV, I set all spark gaps to 0.28". This
is enough not to cause any premature ignition. The spark gaps consist
of brass balls of 0.04" diameter. IMO any larger distance would
increase the losses unnecessarily - correct?

> Ideally the it should erect from bottom to top. I didn't bother with
> triggered gaps.
Using a trigger should ensure, that the erection will start from the
bottom. The optic impression(sic!) is that the erection runs upward
correctly.

In order to test, if  corona is a problem when the bank is erected, I
soldered a 2" piece of thin wire to the HV - output and bent it
perpendicular to the main discharge path. To my surprise there was no
reduction in the discharge length. Therefor I assume that "HV-corona"
is not a problem.

Any comments are very welcome.