[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

Rather than come up with a definition I would like to quote J.H.
Couture.

There are 5 forms of electrical activity that can be used to discribe
the ionization phenomenon a tesla coil displays; they are

1) Arcs - Created when two energized metal objects come in contact
with each other creating a short circuit. Low voltage drop across the
arc.

2) Sphere sparks - Arcs are created between two energized conducting
spheres. It is a high voltage phenomenon in that the voltage drop
across the arc is high. The spark distance can be used to measure the
high voltages at a steady state. ~76000 volts per inch (depends on
numerous factors such as barametric pressure, humidity, etc..

3) Streamer sparks - Not between conducting spheres and are 2 to 3
times longer than the sphere arcs. They can emit from the secondary
terminals and terminate in the air, ground, or to a grounded
conducting object.

4) Brush discharge - Similar to streamers but with a brush like
appearance.

5) Corona - A faint glow around metal objects energized at high
voltages. Due to high electrostatic flux density around the metal
object. A heavy ozone creator.

I hope that these short definitions help. They are taken from
J.H. Couture's Tesla Handbook.
While some are similar in appearance there are some differences in
each.

Believe that you CAN accomplish the impossible and you shall.