[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

cascade multiplier

Subject:
        cascade multiplier
  Date:
        Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:41:59 +0300
  From:
        Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
    To:
        jrfitz-at-diac-dot-com, tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com

You mentioned in a pervious mail that you could provide more info
and schematics on a Cockroft-Walton multiplier.

My plan is to use this multiplier circuit as the power supply for
a plasma globe about 12" in diameter.
The globe will be filled with heluim.

I have never done this before and would apperciate any assistance and
info on the subject.
This could also help me from getting zapped.

I am planning to connect the circuit direct to 220VAC from the
wall outlet with a 1 Amp fuse.
The circuit has 27 diodes and 27 caps - this should give about 7.5KV on
the output.
The circuit has 10 resistors of 5Mohm  0.5W connected in series
which should give 50Mohm output resistance and maximum current
of 150uA which should keep me alive if I do touch the output by mistake.

The diodes are 1N4006 and the caps are 400VAC 1uF high quality
capacitors.

Have you any comments on this setup ?

If I do use this setup and connect it to the globe, can I touch the
glass safely ? I dont want to get fried :-)
Kenneth
e-mail   -  kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
homepage -  http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/