[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage

STREAMERS, MEASUREMENT, VOLTAGE, RESISTOR, WATER
 ----------
Subscriber: harris-at-parkave-dot-net Tue Feb 11 23:19:33 1997
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:57:32 -0500
From: Ed Harris <harris-at-parkave-dot-net>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage

Sounds good, but:
Why 15ft long? If you can put the resistor into a place where the field is
high, but uniform, it shoudln't have to be this long to avoid arcing. I'd
stick
it into the center of the secondary coil where the field is say 2MV/1meter
=20KV/cm but we know that arcing does not occur. BTW you shouldn't
have to worry quite so much about power dissipation since your average
power should be considerably less than this peak power of 200W. I think
this problem deserves a lot of attention if we're ever going to know
what really going on with these coils. It's one step away from determining
something about the impedances of secondary discharges...

Hi Ed,
I use water resistors that can take N watts all day long without detriment
due to the high energy capacity of water.  As a reference a distilled water
(grocery store - steam distilled) column 1 1/2" in diameter and 8 1/2' long
has a resistance of approximately 10 megohms.
Barry