[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage

At 11:25 PM 2/11/97 -0700, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage
>
>Subscriber: harris-at-parkave-dot-net Tue Feb 11 23:19:33 1997
>Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 17:57:32 -0500
>From: Ed Harris <harris-at-parkave-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage
>
>    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
>    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
>    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]
>

>> Subscriber: rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net Mon Feb 10 22:02:25 1997
>> Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 11:33:45 -0500 (EST)
>> From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: Calculating Sec. Voltage

snip

>> you would need a calibrated 20 billion ohm resistor, (2X10^11 ohm), over
>15
>> feet long to set up the large drop inseries with maybe a 10 kilohm
>resistor.
>> The big resistor would need to be capable of handling at least a couple
>of
>> hundred watts.
>
>Sounds good, but:
>Why 15ft long? If you can put the resistor into a place where the field is
>high, but uniform, it shoudln't have to be this long to avoid arcing. I'd
>stick
>it into the center of the secondary coil where the field is say 2MV/1meter
>=20KV/cm but we know that arcing does not occur. BTW you shouldn't
>have to worry quite so much about power dissipation since your average
>power should be considerably less than this peak power of 200W. I think
>this problem deserves a lot of attention if we're ever going to know
>what really going on with these coils. It's one step away from determining
>something about the impedances of secondary discharges...

Skip,

Correct,  I did take this into account!  The original reference was to
Wysock's model 10, I think! (its been snipped many posts back)  That was a
10kw coil!!  Thus the 200 watt resistor. (Reduced power dissapation)

Finally, field measurements are no good to compare to flaming arc channels
for voltage readings.  They may be related by some complex math function
which remains unknown at present, though.

R. Hull, TCBOR