[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

> Date:          Sun, 5 Jan 1997 22:25:06 -0700
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: torque conv./ inner tubes

> Subscriber: kilroy1-at-juno-dot-com Sun Jan  5 21:43:19 1997
> Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 18:28:57 PST
> From: "Kerry S. Ludwig" <kilroy1-at-juno-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: torque conv./ inner tubes
>

> >I was thinking of getting a hack saw and cuttig around the periphery
> >so it
> >could be gutted and therefore lightened.
> >
> >Chip
> >
> I too had wondered about using a torque convertor for a terminal.  Would
> the raised ribs on the outer shell need to be ground down or in someway
> smoothed over?  I would think that a terminal of this type would be
> absolutely indestructable.
>
> I have also considered using an inner-tube from a car or truck tire for a
> basis of a terminal.  It could have a shell of either metal screen and
> plaster or perhaps a thin layer of fiberglass applied for rigidity
> before coating with foil or adhesive aluminum tape such as that used in
> the heating and air business.
>
> By using different sizes of tubes and different pressures, almost any
> size of terminal would be possible.  Anything from a go-cart inner-tube
> to one off of a farm tractor.  (That's one I would like to see run!)
>
> I can't seem to look at any object without imagining a use for it in a
> Tesla Coil.  It drives my wife crazy!!!!!    Maybe we should start a
> seperate listserv as a support group for wives of coilers.
> (Our possibley husbands, though I've never ran into a female coiler!)
>
> Just my thoughts............
>
> Kerry "Kilroy" Ludwig
> Kilroy1-at-juno-dot-com

Kerry, All,

I've given considerable thought to how to make a large toroidal
topload for my own proposed giant coil, and have concluded that the
biggest unit I could make that would transport on a commercoial
flatbed trailer would be 16 feet in diameter, sectioned as two halves
occupying the full 8 foot width of the trailer deck.  The cross
sectional diameter could approach 7 feet.  This is not big enough,
soooo...

I considered a huge pneumatic tire tube from a giant earth mover
machine.  With appropriate glue, attach a close spaced pattern of
thin rigid aluminum disks to the outside.  A very flexible, bare
woven copper conductor would be attached to the center of each of
these aluminum pie plates, penetrating the innertube wall where they
would all be soldered to a heavier wire braid strap acting as a
circular bussbar inside the tube.  The entire unit could be deflated
and transported on a trailer, to be inflated at the showsite.  A 30
foot diameter toroid might be possible this way, that can still be
transportable.  I reserve any and all commercial rights to this great
invention so if you use it you gotta pay me $20,000 in US dols.

rwstephens