[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal Quenching Tests

>> I wonder though, does the spectral splitting really go away, or are its
 > effects just minimized?  It seems to me that for the notch to form in the
 >> first place, there must be spectral splitting occuring (this causes the
 > beating which causes the notch).
>>snip

 >It actually goes away (at least per my PSPICE analysis)! And apparently,
 >is backed up by results of high-power spark gap transmitters and recent
 >experimentation (per earlier posts on this phenomonon from Ed and
> Richard. I did a Fast Fourier Transform analysis where the ONLY thing I
>changed was the gap "on" time. Once I hit the optimal value, or below,
 >the twin peaks in primary current and secondary voltage went away, to be
 >replaced by a single peak at the commen resonant frequency of primary
 >and secondary. If I "detuned" the primary to be lower (as most of us
>do), I STILL got one peak, centered at the secondary's resonanct
> frequency as long as I optimally quenched. I don't fully understand
> exactly WHY this should be, but it IS real...

 > >  snip

 >>  >> 6)  When I quenched at 8 us in the above example,  I saw no notches
in
 >> the
 >>  >> secondary waveform;  I saw only a build-up, followed by a nice high
 >> amplitude
 >>  >> ring-down.  But yes, I agree, more work needs to be done to verify
the
>>  >>  optimal quenching conditions needed for optimal spark output.
 >>  >>

 >> > This makes sense - if we quench once the energy flow from
 >> > primary-secondary has completed, but before it can reverse, then we'll
 >> >never see a secondary notch! A real poser is why the spectral splitting
 > > >also seems to go away...
 >
 >>Certainly once the gap quenches, spectral splitting is gone, but I would
 >> speculate that there is some spectral splitting occuring before the gap
 >> quenches, even on first notch quench, but this splitting may not have
time to
 >>beat and re-beat with all the frequency and out of phase components that
 >>occur during beating.  Thus with a slow or bad quench (and insufficient
spark
 >> (and out of the sec coil--as racing sparks)?

 >Before doing the simulation, this is what I thought as well. Certainly
 >the latter effect seems to occur... Now all I need's a GOOD gap system!
 >
  > >  >>    John Freau
 >   >>snip
 >> >    --Bert--
 >> snip
 >> John Freau
> snip
 >    -- Bert --

All,

Help theorists!   If the above is true, who can explain why splitting (pri
and sec)  that occurs before the first notch goes away before the first
notch, when quenched at the first notch?   Hard for me to accept without
understanding.   It would seem to me that if the above is true, then
splitting must never occur before the first notch whether we happen to quench
at first notch or not, otherwise, the gap would have to "know" it was going
to quench before it happened (not likely).  And if the split does not occur
before the first notch, then what forms the notch in the first place?  (seems
to me that splitting and beating is what forms the notch).   Ah, the
mysteries of coiling.

John Freau