[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Spark Gap Idea

From: 	Jim[SMTP:jwbuck-at-loclnet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, June 18, 1997 9:19 AM
To: 	Tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Spark Gap Idea

Hi Everyone,

I just built a new spark gap & thought maybe someone else may benefit
from the design.  I took a large variable cap, the kind with plates on
the body and on the shaft with air dielectric.  I removed all but one
plate on the body and one plate on the shaft.  THen I bent the plate
that was left on the shaft so that I could get a parallel connection.
Also I sloped the plate so that I could adjust the gap by turning the
shaft.  It was quick to build and so far seems to work great.  Instead
of putting a knob on the shaft to rotate the gap I cut a notch at the
end of the shaft so I can use a long screwdriver to adjust the gap while
the coil is running which may be a stupid idea but I haven't gotten
zapped yet.

Jim