[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE Fr. Tom Strikes Again

Subject:     RE Fr. Tom Strikes Again
       Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 17:45:32 GMT
       From: robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

        This is yet another of Fr. Th.'s excellent explanations.

        There are a few loose ends and some mixing of that wonderful
        fruit salad (apples & oranges) that beg attention, if I may:

T>we start talking about the frequency of a single pulse. Or the
T>MULTIPLE sinewave frequencies that are present in something as
T>mundane as a stupid square wave!!! Or a triangle wave. Or ANY
T>waveform that is not PURELY sinusoidal!!!

T>I *REALLY* don't want to get into Fourier transforms and other such
T>wonderful things. So let's try to keep it *SIMPLE* here. Yeah, I
T>know, any time I try to simplify something so the average joe can

 [ ... ]

        I believe this should be described as the Fourier  =Theorem=
                According to which (as Fr. Th. has so well said) any
                waveform (however complex) can be shown to be com-
                prised of constituent sine-waves.

                Much experimental work has borne out this Theorem and
                it is among the most important (and useful) principles
                of modern electrical engineering.

                Fourier  =Transforms=  are related to the
                above, being a method for solving differential eq-
                ations (another thing upon which electrical engineering
                dearly depends).

                        A transform, whether Fourier, or LaPlace, or
                        any of quite a few others -- is a mathematical
                        expression.

                        When this expression is used to multiply some
                        mathematical function, the result is a new
                        function which is easier to deal with or more
                        revealing of it's innate nature.  (i.e., the
                        original function is  =transformed=  in one
                        which is more tractable).

        Baron Fourier was a French mathematician and physicist who was
        active circa 1860.

                                        Frequently-your, in --
                                        Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels