[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

microwave trans current limit

Subject:  microwave trans current limit
  Date:   Thu, 15 May 97 05:44:10 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

this may be helpful - my microwave, that I still use, is an old Amana
unit
that I bought in 1972 - it is one of the first consumer microwave
units.  In
the power supply feed to the magnetron there is a series resistor, and
inside
the resistor there is a thermal fuse.  One day the fuse blew - I
replaced it
with a piece of wire and fired the machine up - there were half a dozen
bright
sparks inside the oven and then everything was ok.  I then put a thermal
fuse
back inside the resistor.

This suggests to me that the transformer may not have had a current
limit.  I
don't want to take a working oven apart though, so use this for what
it's
worth.  I would not be suprised if older microwaves had no shunt (being
"comsumerized" radars), and that the new ones do.