[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Building a monster Tesla coil

----------
From:  Jeff W. Parisse [SMTP:jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, February 22, 1998 3:06 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Building a monster Tesla coil

Frank,

What a relief. You can imagine the concern we all share for your
safety. Now that we have a little background, I'm sure you'll get
more people to help.

First, you'll need power, about 5-10kVA from a breaker box,  a
pole pig (approx.. 14kV, Single Phase, Dual Bushing), two 40A
variacs (voltage control and series reactance), filters, chokes,
deadman switch and a cabinet or sled to hook it all up. There
is your power console.

You'll want a .1 to .2uf tank cap. Call Hippotronics or Plastic
Caps. Shoot for a low secondary frequency (80-90kHz) and don't
forget a very large toriod.

Getting sparks much longer than six feet is a feat! Fifteen feet is
a very expensive (in every possible definition of the word)
undertaking. Given what you've told me, I'd shoot for eight, if you're
REALLY motivated. Tesla coils should make their owners/builders
happy. I'm telling you this because the big coil bug bit me twice and
I'm trying to save you and your brother-in-law (which means he's
married and REALLY doesn't have the time/energy for a 15 footer)
from the headache.

Jeff W. Parisse, Director
kVA Effects
www.teslacoil-dot-com