[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Buck Boost

----------
From:  Gregory R. Hunter [SMTP:ghunter-at-mail.enterprise-dot-net]
Sent:  Sunday, February 01, 1998 10:06 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Buck Boost

Coiler Types,

I've been reading the mail about current limiting strategies for
pole pigs, and I think I'm finally seeing the light.

(1) A really big series choke or variable reactor (arc welder, etc.)
is required to limit current when the spark gap is firing.

(2) Series resistors are required to prevent excessive current at the
beginning of each charging cycle (when the empty cap feels like a
short) when the spark gap is not firing.

(3) The proper combo of choke and resistors yeilds a smooth
charge/discharge cycle without excessive current draw.

Does all that sound reasonable?

One writer explained that the 230VAC line voltage will divide across
the choke impedance and pole pig primary impedance, preventing the
pole pig secondary from developing full potential.  I'm thinking the
choke/reactor will only drop a modest fraction of the line voltage
during the charge cycle.  Could this be corrected using the buck
boost trick with a hefty low-voltage power transformer?  Is the
voltage drop worth worrying about?  Just wondering.

Greg

Infatuated With My New Pig in East Anglia, UK