[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: First Coil Works --Tuning Help

At 03:42 PM 12/11/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Last night I finally got some output from my coil...  A 1/2 inch spark --to
>a grounded target. Definately     NOT the best performence for a six-inch
>coil running on 1.5kVA! I figure I really need some tweaking help.
>
>This is my current setup:
>
>Two 15kV, 60mA Neons in parallel
>A lossy salt water cap (made from a gallon glass jug, I have 4 smaller
>ones)
>A single, static gap. about 1/2 to 3/4 inch space --the spark was sorta
>erratic and bluish...
>An 8 turn primary coil --my coilform can handle up to 14 turns
>Finally, I use a toroid about 14" in diameter. 4" sewer pipe. I have a
>larger one as well.
>
>I'm willing to do pretty much anything to the setup to get good results, I
>know this isn't a good way of running now --more primary turns?
>Anyway, I'll appreciate ANY help.

Hi Adam,

I'm pretty new to this as well, but I feel obliged to respond, as my first
coil was of a similar format.  Two 60mA/15kV NSTs and a 6" secondary
former.  You can see pics of the bits & pieces at website below (see
'Current coil' and 'Photos')

Several points:

1.  Use an RC protection circuit for the NSTs.  The one I got from Malcolm
Watts seems to be fine,  ie. my NSTs are still workin' fine ;-)

2.  Make some decent caps.  Rolled polyethylene in oil.  Much stuffing
around but they will VASTLY out-perform current ones.  Notes from list
archive, or I can mail 'em to you if you cant find them.

3.  There is a LOT of science in spark-gaps & quenching.  I started with
reasonable caps, so virtually all of the improvements I attained were in
this area.  Try a TCBOR/RQ static gap with forced-air cooling for starters.

4.  This set-up will take a *much larger* topload.  Try to find a bigger
toroid form, at least 20" x 6", but even larger if you can manage it.

All the best,

Mark

Tesla Page <http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis>