[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Arc Load Match (bleeding edge) OUCH!!

Hi Richard and All,

	As you and Malcolm suspected, the "booster" coil idea has a problem.  As I
held my little "wonder coil" in my hand, I too began to suspect that
something had gone wrong in the theoretical analysis.
	The basic problem was a mathematical error on my part.  The reactance of
5pF at 110kHz is 289k ohms.  A matching inductor would have a value of
419mH not 418uH.  I was off by a factor of 1000!
	So, in order to get my dreamed of 30% increase in arc energy, I now need a
very large inductance.  Such an inductor would be much larger than my 75mH
secondary.  It would have substantial self capacitance, losses, etc. which
would easily destroy the effects I would need.  Also, it would be rather
sensitive to variation in the 5pF arc capacitance which can vary
substantially.
	The model does show that a perfect 418mH inductor would be wonderful.
However, there is no way to build the required device in the real world...

Oh well... lots more blood where that came from :-)

	Terry

snip...>