[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil safety question

In <3.0.6.32.19980905140433.009034e0-at-verinet-dot-com>, on 09/05/98
   at 02:04 PM, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> said:

>Original Poster: bob985-at-earthling-dot-net

>I am planning on showing my 9kV, 30ma coil to some
>friends, and I am wondering how safe it would be to be
>holding onto a bolt and then let the 7" sparks from the
>torroid conduct through the bolt to me.

>I recal hearing that this is fairly safe because the
>electricity is at such a high frequency, it only
>travels over the surface of the skin, making it
>non-lethal.

>Is this correct? Has this been done by others? Who are
>still alive?

I've done it several times in the past, max length around 20", but I
stopped just a few days ago. I was letting a small arc (4") jump to a
piece of tubing and wasn't feeling a thing as usual. So I let the arc
touch my finger to see what it would feel like. It felt like it had
been smashed with a hammer. The joints hurt badly for about two hours
and convinced me to not take anymore hits.

Is it safe? I'm not convinced that it is now.

Alan
ajones-at-wavegate-dot-com