[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Pigs and X-Ray Cabling

I finally decided I was tired of being afraid of cooking my neons, and have
taken the step up to a pig (Damn shipping was 3/4 the cost of the unit
itself :( )
In any case, said beastie is not exactly what one would call luggable.
As a result, the Pig will be some distance from the coil setup, rather than
right next to it, as I do with my neons.

Via a strike of luck, I find myself with close to 300ft of 250KV X-Ray
cabling.
This consists of a 1/8" outer sheath, wire briad with a semiconducting tape
wrapper, 3/8" red rubber(?) insulator, and finally 4 conducters (2 14awg, 2
22awg)
at the core. If I use this for the expected 20' or needed to run to my coil
are there any gotchas I need to watch for? I know about the capacitance that
the
shield can present, and if needed I can strip the braid off (but I like the
idea
of the additional protection.)
Any surprises from the lead inductance?
How do others connect your coils to your pig?

In the spirit of "build it yourself" I am going to attempt to wind a
current limiting reactor myself. I plan to use about 10lbs of iron wire
I have from another project to form a ring, and then to wind that with 8AWG
wire.
After the wire winding is done, use a hacksaw to cut a slot, then pot the
beast
in some high temp wax (to keep the gap fixed.)

Comments?