[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Can anyone help ?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Cabbott Sanders
> Bert said:
>
>                                                             "At 20-25
> Joules/bang with a 0.16 uF cap, the rest of the system will need to be
>
> quite robust to safely make use of this energy. If this is your first
>    coil, you might want to consider reducing the tank cap size a bit.
>
>                                                           -- Bert --"
>
>  Bert, this is my third coil to date. My secondary is 84" tall and 24"
>   wide, using Alkatel 200C #10 square Magwire. My primary will consist
>  of 1" or 2" copper (or other) house pipe. do you think this is robust
>                                        enough for 25 joules per bang?
>
>                                                               cabbott

cabbott,

The coil you just described, in all aspects except perhaps a somewhat
limited 24" OD dimension (and you didn't mention the topload) may have
the potential capability to be good for at least 100 Joules per bang and
perhaps as much as 200, depending of course on a lot of total system
balancing acts which are par for the course. Your primary as desribed
could be adequate for even more than 200 J if it has sufficient
thickness for skin depth considerations at Fo.

Question 1: Why then are you wasting your time merely striving to tickle
this behemoth at just 25 Joules/bang?

Question 2: If you are this experienced, why are you asking for guidance
on the this List prior to conducting the actual experiment?

I run a 25 Joule/bang coil using 54 inches close wound #18 AWG machine
tool wire on a 15 inch PVC form that kicks serious 12 ft+ butt at just
6,900 VA and 402 BPS.  At that modest power level there appears to be no
need to go overkill in either primary or secondary copper cross-sections
as is proven by my own coil's rather impressive efficiency rating.

Robert W. Stephens