[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Green glow

From: 	Gomez[SMTP:gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com]
Reply To: 	gomez-at-netherworld-dot-com
Sent: 	Saturday, January 03, 1998 3:29 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Green glow

Tesla List wrote:

> I think most regular tungsten lamps are charged with argon or some
> other inert gas.  That's why they look like a plasma globe when
> zapped by a TC.  The purpose of the gas filling is to prevent the
> filament from slowly evaporating away and plating itself onto the
> glass.

That makes sense.  If it were a hard vacuum, you'd get no discharge, and of
course, they back fill would prolong the filament life.  I should know that
stuff, since I work in lighting professionally, but I don't.  The only gas
filled envelopes I'm familiar with are discharge lamps and halogen lamps.
I ought to look into that.

> Old style cold-cathode x-ray tubes were pulled down to a
> pretty hard vacuum, which enabled electrons to build up a good head
> of steam before they banged into the target anode.  Gas filling
> should preclude x-ray tube action by damping high-voltage electrons.

I wonder what the pressure in a light bulb is.  They _do_ make quite a
"pop" when broken-as a kid, I attributed that to a vacuum.

> I don't really believe my green glow is caused by x-rays.  Even so, I
> plan to run a test or two, just to make sure.

Wise.

My thing is USAF
> communication/navigation/radar electronics--not domestic lighting or
> x-ray technology.  Feel free to enlighten me if I'm spouting
> nonsense.

No, no, what you said makes sense to me, Ijust wasn't thinking.  (shouldn't
post mail when I've got a head cold)

-Gomez

--
Gomez: card-carrying mad scientist, extreme fetishist, fiction dabbler,
pyrophiliac, technomage, goth, SF fan, lighting designer, dominant