[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps

"Original Poster: David Trimmell <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>

I have used ceramic caps in a small coil several years ago (30KV -at- 0.004
uFd), they worked ok for the power level. I was able to get 13 inch
sparks
at 225 watts, using three series gaps at 7500V. They did get warm, but
not
as fast as the gaps (no forced air cooling)! They make excellent RF
bypass
caps, though.

Regards,

David Trimmell"

        I have used similar capacitors here with good results, running 12 kV,
60 ma transformers.  Use three in parallel for a coil running at about
285 kHz and get 24" plus streamers, limited by the space in the attic.
They get pretty warm after 60 seconds of operation, but haven't lost one
since I realized I needed to let them cool off.  They have very low ESR,
and I think the losses are small compared to those in the gap,  based on
the relative heating in each.  Do indeed notice change in capacitance
with run  time, but have learned to live with it.

Ed