[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Smooth Toroid?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>
>
>         I am trying to make a toroid out of 4" drain pipe, covered in
metallic flue
> tape.  I am most upset, because the tape was 8 dollars for a roll of 15
> feet, and it doesn't stick and will not be smooth.  The toroid has wrinkles
> all over, there is not an inch of smooth surface.  I have read that smooth
> surfaces are the best, and I was wondering what the outcome would be with a
> poor toroid?  Does it give smaller discharges?  I am also concerned with my
> usage of surplus magnet wire.  There was a little corrosion on the outside
> of some of the wire.  What kind of effect would that have?  This is my first
> Tesla Coil, so I guess I've learned alot.  Thank You,
>
> -Andy

Lack of a smooth surface causes corona breakout at lower voltages then
intended.  This
means that spark length isn't as long as it could be.  As I'm writing this,
however,
I'm thinking that all this means is a small decrease in the capacitance of
the toroid,
if the wrinkling is somewhat uniform and not to extreme.  I'm also thinking
that this
could be amended by retuning the coil.  I wonder what spark length would be
then.

Sorry, Andy.  I'm new too, and I've apparently just confused myself.
Anyone else?

My advice to you is to give it a shot.  Worse case scenario is that your
sparks aren't
as long as they could be.  But this is your first coil, so that's pretty
much a given
anyway.

Adam