[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Testing Bottle caps???

Bottles with 15KV? Just make sure to put a bunch in series so you don't blow
them. I don't know the dielectric strength of glass right off, but be sure to
use more then the required ammount. Usually those figures are for DC. I think
the way to do it is to cut the figures from the book in half when designing for
TC use. Also, keep in mind that bottle glass is usually impure and may have
more
defects then plate glass. Meaning that it will puncture eaiser under stress, so
you may want even more bottles. I'm sure someone on here has made a bottle cap,
not me. ;) I have done plate glass, never again.

You do realize this is going to be big, heavy, and messy, right? I thought my
rolled poly caps were a mess. ;) Sure you don't want to consider the MMC
approach? It costs more, but it's eaiser to build and calculate. It's also
going
to work better for a TC because glass isn't as good a dielectric as
polypropelene for RF frequencies. It's biggest advantage in my book is that
it's
dry. No water, no oil, just caps. ;) There are a ton of articles over the past
few months about MMCs in the archive. Check www.pupman-dot-com and use the search
engine there. Spec your system too, decide on the size of coil you want to
build
so you know how much cap you need. WinTesla can help you get a ballpark on the
values. If you want to make a mains-resonant cap for that transformer shoot for
.01 Mfd. I use a 15/60 for my 6" coil and that was the calculated value I got
from WinTesla and a few other things I used. I blew up one of my rolled poly
caps, so I think I'll just build me an MMC now.. eaiser to fix if it dies. ;)

Travis