[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

More on Z=SQRT(L/C)

More beating on the (not quite dead) horse:  I'm still troubled by the
referenced expression.  That's an expression for the >characteristic
impedance< of certain electrical networks.  It doesn't seem to me that
that has a lot to do with the resonant network of a Tesla coil.
Characteristic impedance, in ohms, is generally defined as the impedance
of a transmission line of infinite length; or else, the value of a
network's load resistance that causes the impedance looking into that
network to be the same as that load resistance.  Who knows what a load
"resistance" might be for a Tesla coil?

Malcolm Watts wrote that, for the lossless case at resonance, Z = Xl =
Xc...but shouldn't that be, Z = Xl - Xc?  Whether at resonance or no,
doesn't Z always = the vector sum of Xl and Xc (absent loss), that sum
being zero at resonance?

...And does it matter a whole heck of a lot when most of you guys (&
girls, I've noted) are clobbering your secondaries with all kinds of
messy shock-excitations from your 19th-cy.-style apparatuses?  (Speaking
as a solid-state-er, myself...ahem...)

Ken Herrick