[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: sparks

<<
> Thanks John.
> I thought you weren't supposed to use a rotary spark gap on NST's? It's
> my understanding that they can't handle it and burn up. Are you able to
> do this because of using a lower break rate?

> Bob V

Bob,

What seems to kill the NST's are overvoltings from missed firings.  With
a typical non-sync rotary, there's the danger that firings will be missed.
Another thing that might occur with non-sync rotaries, is chaotic
resonant voltage swings that might overvolt the transformer.  The sync
gap seems to keep the firings stable, and no firings are missed.

The above is what I've commonly heard as explanation, but there may
be other factors too.  The low break rate may help too by allowing
more time for the capacitor to charge, making regular firing more
likely.  Of course, with enough NST power, a higher break rate may
be tolerated, with steady firing nevertheless.  The low break rate might
also help by "assaulting" the NST with RF less frequently.

There are some who disagree that 120 bps sync rotaries "protect"
the NST when using resonant charging, but I have not had a failure
yet.  It is easy to get a false impression of what caused an NST
failure because the NST may have been weakened or damaged
prior to its installation in the sync rotary system.

John Freau