[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hamfest score & Tube Coils

All,  I have finally been able to make it to the Salem Oregon Hamfest, and
lets just say that I can kick myself for not doing it before! I want to
list what I got for my Tube coil(s), and then perhaps some of you all can
help me best utilize my score. First of all I was somewhat disappointed
that there were not more tubes, they were there, but only a few high power
transmitting tubes. I did find one 833A for $20, not the best deal, but now
I have three. Ok for the score: This older gentleman had a home brew plate
supply that is now mine! And this is were I need help. Ok the list:

One Chicago transformer Co Pri=115, sec=2350 (with center tap) rated at
0.775 KVA it weighs about 40-50 lbs.
One 7500 VDC -at- 2uFd cap (big)
One GE reactor, 15 henrys -at- 0.42 AmpDC, volts: 920, For: 1750V circuit
One full wave rectifier: 1amp -at- 10kVDC
Two 25K -at- 60 Watt bleeder resistors

And he threw in:

One 50 PicoFd Vacuum cap (good vacuum)
One little 4 Amp variac
One 1000V -at- 300mA transformer with various taps

All this for a grand total of $15

Not to bad. Ok, the transformer I am assuming is not current limited, but
don't know. Any ideas? He said the reactor was used in series with the
plate supply, any suggestions on uses in Tesla systems (tube or otherwise)?
Also, what purpose is a reactor in a plate supply? This transformer, I am
thinking that I could use the voltage doubler, like I'm using with the MOT,
and if it is not current limited, it could possibly run safely at double
output for short periods?

All comments and suggestions are encouraged. Happy sparking!

Regards,

David Trimmell