[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Okay,_cap_discharge_time_isn=B4t_really_valid?= for TC usage.

Hello John, Malcom, Marco, all

Malcom (and the rest) wrote (similar):

>The gap does go out at some fixed voltage leaving a residual charge
>on the caps. If 50V is left on a 0.1uF cap that amounts to 125uJ
>which is rather miniscule.

Okay, I got it. I was thinking, if you didnīt have enough time to
fully discharge the cap, you might not be using the full energy
available. This IS true, but the energy left is indeed very small
and wouldnīt contribute measurably to the peak spark length
(not even in high break rate systems). If I use my cap (120nF)
as an example and letīs say it has residual charge of 1000V
on it, it would only be:

0.5*1000^2*120*10^-9 = 0.06J

A 120nF cap is a rather large cap, but even here the (high)
residual voltage doesnīt amount to any real stored (and lost)
energy. The reason is quite obvious, now, after looking at the
equation: The energy goes down with square of the voltage.

Thanks to all.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard