Re: Avalon, and Lockout for Safety

>Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>I would be interested in hearing what with wrong with the NST filter?
>
>snip...

Mark?

> >I've tried to keep it as Electrically related as possible. Our moderator
>has
> >been more than gracious to let a lot of this pass. But on the other hand,
> >Avalon is going to be a great Coiling resource, and we should have the
>WHOLE
> >story in the archives, not just the ending.
>
>THANKS!  Obviously this project is very interesting and know that your are
>actually "doing it" and not just "talking about it" it has much more
>relevance.  Obviously, there are details that he Tesla list cannot deal
>with but the electrical stuff is fine.  I ask that replies for non Tesla
>coil related stuff or things that are not of general interest to Tesla coil
>builders be sent directly to Chris rather than the list...

Actually, given that the Avalon facility and the Avalon Coil will be of
great interest to the list. And the finished facility will be open to the
list members free of charge. And that this is a collaboritive project with
many of the list members involved. I would think that most of the aspects of
the Avalon project would be of interest to the majority of the list members.
There is a LOT for all of us to learn here. We post all the time about
PCB's, but how many of us have actually had to deal with them and dispose of
them properly under the CLOSE eyes of the EPA? Maybe a handfull?
The Avalon Facility will draw coiling and HV freaks from all over the world.
How many people have made a pilgrimage just to SEE Electrum? The 13M? or
just a DOCUMENTARY!??? I'm building a place for them to come and HELP :)
Here it's not just a demo, it's a project. Come help, come work, come and
get dirty and have fun. It will be a place for people who have read this
list for years to actually meet one another.
I plan on holding monthly Teslathons with invites for EVERYONE! This isn't
something set up in a hall or somewhere. This is a place where is I need to
set up 10,000 coils of sizes from tabletops to the 13M we could all fit,
mostly in a single room!

How many people here would give a months salary to be able to play with
Tesla's toys in the sizes HE played with? Can you imagine the research we
can do to further the state of the art of Tesla Coiling?

How many questions will we finally be able to answer now that a state of the
art facility exists to actually perform RESEARCH. It's VERY hard for
companies to do things like this, they have to justify expenses and make a
profit....I don't. I'm doing education for the sake of education. Research
because it's FUN, not well paid.

Avalon will change Tesla Coiling in a big way. I hope to at least make a
dent at changing the World :)

> >Someone get me a pric on a 1MVA generator. I'll bet it's mounted on a
>semi
> >truck.
>
>I think your right.  We had a "big boy" on a truck.  I don't remember it's
>ratings but there was not much wasted space...  There were actually two
>trucks.  The other one hauled the diesel fuel :-))

Ouch......pricy toy. I should only need enough to power lighting and tools.
Something pad mounted for permanant installation.

>The 250kVAs I used to play with could be moved with a large fork lift.
>They are all diesel or natural gas.  I have been out of that for too long
>to remember any prices but my brother works with them all the time for
>GE/Woodward.  I'll try to check with him about you needs.  I think I
>remember them being surprisingly "cheap" (for a power station :-)).  Used
>ones sometimes go for free if you do the moving.  They last forever with
>not much maintenance.  New ones are all fancy and run themselves.  Older
>ones may need some work but they are darn tough things that don't die
>young...  Hospitals, and other critical electrical places almost all have
>these self contained generators and they are very common once you start
>looking.  Basically they are just like the Honda types you see at the
>hardware store, only bigger.  They really are surprisingly small.  You want
>a ~1400HP turbo diesel thing.
>
>www.onan-dot-com
>
>shows the typical toys and specs that are available (new)...  There are
>obvious great advantages to being you own electric company in this case.
>They are very easy to run.  These machine are almost always three phase
>too.  So much thought needs to go into how your are going to hook it up to
>a giant coil system.  Perhaps something like Greg Leyh's systems...
>
>BTW - Truck and train mounted diesel generators can be rented too.  Perhaps
>they have on old one they want to sell to make way for a shinny new one...
>The military is also a source but this stuff lasts forever and is not often
>given up by them...  Battlefield deliverable power stations are not
>something they let become obsolete in these electronic warfare days...  Old
>ships will also have a surprising electric generating capacity but that
>would probably be a pretty difficult thing to find in your location.
>
>Cheers,
>
>	Terry

Time to go shopping.......

Have FUN!