Re: Toploads that bite
Subject: Re: Toploads that bite
From: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 16:36:21 -0700
Your top terminal should be grounded (through the secondary) to RF ground.
The base of the secondary is at RF ground and the terminal should drain off
any charge very quickly through the secondary wire. If you have lots of
poly coating on the secondary, some pretty good static electric charges can
build up on it.
However, you probably do what I do all the time. If I am near the coil and
insulated myself, "I" get charged up. I actually get charged to a high
potential and shock my grounded coil. The variac and all has big
insultated plastic knobs so I never get discharged until I touch the
terminal or something grounded. I now have some metal power switches so I
get a little zap when I touch them. I have never got shocked bad enough to
give it a second thought. Perhaps your rubber shoes allowed you to get
REALLY charged up... I wear leather shoes but that's just becase that is
what I happen to be wearing...
At 06:52 AM 02/06/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>I was unfortuanate to get a static electricity shock
>form the topload of my coil yesterday which felt like
>the time when i discharded a crt to my hand. I got it
>when i was removing it after a short run with the
>mains off. Ive heard this happens to other people too.
>It seems strange that about 15 Kv could build up on a
>topload which has a electrical resistance of 32 ohms
>to ground mesured(which proves there is no gap between
>secondy terminal and topload).
>Could my shock of been because the charge built up on
>me insted of the coil load. I was wearing rubber soled
>Any thoughts ?
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.