[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re:Nate's Probs: Information

Hi,

> Original Poster: "Nathan Ball" <nateburg-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Big Snipola, as Terry has comment on most things.

> They probably were set a bit wide.  I had just adjusted
>them apart after they had been firing way too much.

So they WERE doing their work, but you defeated them ;o)
If you are using a large rounded surface, then set them so
that they just donīt fire when ONLY the NST is connected
across them. Remember, NSTs are NOT made to supply
high voltage for any length of time.

> Most of the pieces have good continuity to the connection
>point on the toroid, and the bottom of the secondary where
>the ground is connected. But some of them have about 4-500
>ohms of resistance.
> Otherwise, though, I think I have pretty good continuity now.

Heck NO! If your DMM measures 4-500 ohms with itīs small
(measuring) current flow, you can calculate what kind of I^2*R
losses you are experiencing, when you start pumping a few
100 amps through that same connection. Your DMM should
register ZERO ohms all the way from the fence to your
secondaryīs bottom connection. The secondary itself will have
a few ohms and the connection to the toroid should once again
register zero ohms on the DMM. Same goes for your primary
circuit.

> The reason they are all such thin caps is that I was under the
>impression that polyethylene withstood 1200 volts per mil as a
>dielectric. That is the

NO!!!! The 1200v/mil is a DC rating and you can call yourself
lucky if it will survive half that value across AC. I did some
pretty intensive testing on poly quite a while ago, because I
was looking to run the caps w/o oil (in the archives). For a rock
solid cap, I would suggest using NO more than 250-300V/mil
(but under OIL) and of course NOT using the black stuff. Rolled
poly caps are out, tho. I started posting my results on MMCs
(C-at-RWB) way back in October 1998. Terry started working
on his EMMC (C-at-TWF) at about the same time and numerous
coilers have followed. You might want to check the archives.
They contain pretty much everything you will need to know to
build a successful (E)MMC.

The *kit* that Terry has offered you for 40 bucks is a great
deal and you would have a hard time (re-) building your polys
for that price and, as I mentioned to you in a mail the other
day, an (E)MMC will take much more of a beating than that
*old fashioned* rolled poly will.

Coiler greets from Germany,
Reinhard