Re: Tesla Coil Computer Programs

In a message dated 7/20/00 6:12:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 Hi Guys,
 There seems to be lots of interest in TC calc programs these days.  Well,
 I'm not sure if "the best things in life are free" but it seems that the
 best TC calc programs are.  The following link takes you to my TC test and
 measurement page where I have a reworked version of the Sonderman
 spreadsheet as well as a link to Terry's E-tesla file.

 http://users.better-dot-org/roverstreet/resources/measure.htm

 I think that the spreadsheet using good ole Medhurst and Wheeler is the way
 to go.  It gets you within 10% and tells you all you need to know to make
 the parts.  Terry's E-Tesla Program can calculate your secondary resonant
 freq as accurately as you can measure your physical dimensions!

 The Excel spreadsheet rocks because:
 1.  it's Free!  (well, you need Micro$oft Excel)
 2.  You can see the eqns and change them as you see fit
 3.  You can reformat the sheet, add new sheets, make custom calcs, add
 notes, etc

 The 3rd reason is the one that really has me sold.  I love being able to
 type stuff in empty cells, add extra formulas, save a version of the
 spreadsheet for each new coil, etc.

 Here is the history of the spreadsheet (copied from my page).  Links to both
 other versions are on my page.  Ed - thanks for making the original version!
 ----------
 This is a revision of Corey Ruch's revision of Ed Sonderman's original TC
 calculator spreadsheet.  Each version has different things that the
 programmer felt was important or reflected the individual's style.  My
 version is mostly consists of a GUI change that uses less screen space for
 the same info.  I also cleaned up some of the equations.  The spreadsheet
 programs are my favorite because they are so easy to modify to suit your
 individual taste or needs.  The program is designed with the intermediate
 coiler in mind so people not familiar with basic (really basic) TC theory
 may have a few questions.
 -----------

 Making arcs in SoCal,
 Ross-O

Ross,

I agree.  Whenever I run a set of calculations on someone's coil, I just save
it under their name and can go back to it in the future.  I find the
spreadsheet program very useful for finding out where to tune someone's
primary by playing some what if type calculations.  I enter the secondary and
toroid information.  Then the primary info and check the required capacitor
value.  Then I go back to the primary calculations and slowly decrease or
increase the number of turns, watching the calculated capacitor value until
it gets close to the capacitor value that they are actually using.  Works for
both of my coils.

Ed Sonderman