Re: Voltage determination

I just rebuilt my gaps to handle the new pig, and fired it up Saturday
evening.  Going from approx 4KW to 8.5KW only gave me about 1 foot in extra
spark length.

Some interesting observations:

1) Before, when the arc hit a ground target, all other spark from the top
would stop, Now, there are still streamers coming from other sides of the
toroid even when one is hitting a target.

2)There is corona coming from everywhere!  between my stacked secondaries,
and around the output arc itself.  Maybe I've reached the maximum power my
secondaries can handle, and any extra power is wasted in corona.  I'm going
to build a new larger toroid this week to see if it helps.

In the end I had 2 stacked 8-inch secondaries wound with 23 AWG with a
total inductance of 125mh, and the whole thing was about 9 feet tall
including toroid.

R. Scott Coppersmith

In a message dated Mon, 24 Jul 2000  2:14:13 AM Eastern Daylight Time,