[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOTs...exploring the low end of TC voltage

>     I haven't worked with MOT's yet, but have a couple of them that I
> recently removed from dead ovens.  I just have one question for you:  What is
> this"back to back"  configuration that you are referring to?

    It is the same phenomenon that can be found in all center-tapped
transformers--NST's for example--that of two oppositely phased secondaries
with a
common ground.  For Mot's it is a useful way to double the voltage obtained
without overstressing insulation, etc.  Two mots are wired with their primaries
in parallel, but oppositely phased. The first turn of each Mot is tied together
(on most Mots it is usually grounded to the core, so it is possible to tie the
cores together electrically).  The resulting arc across the 2 secondary
terminals
is quite impressive--but don't look at it, if you value your vision.
    One note, if you don't tie the cores together (or the two bottom turns, if
you detach them from the core), you will get interesting "static" sparks
from the
two terminals, and massive core-coil breakdown, due to the two grounds trying
desperately to get to each other, through any insulation you have, through the
core itself, and finally through any partially conductive medium between
the two,
such as wood, water, or air.
            --Mike