[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMI Filter Hookup? -- Internal House Wiring Popping And Crackling

Hi all,
           For the first time this year I got around to a bit of firing to put
on a show for the rellies who were down for the weekend. The setup
was pretty basic but worked very smoothly - two 15kV 60mA NSTs
run in parallel, a 5" secondary with an inverted pyramid of toroidal
toploads, a helical primary, coupling adjusted to avoid racing sparks
a single tungsten carbide 1/2" static gap and PFC caps and a 10A
line filter preceding the variac. The primary cap was about 34nF of
MMCs. We got smooth operation with resonant charging and nice
four footers with the variac set to about 60%. I had to water the
ground for a while before firing as the ground was so dry. I used no
safety gaps, RF filters etc. The transformers were about 1-1/2' away
from the gap.  The neighbour across the road reported a few dots
on his TV screen (indoor aerial in a moderately marginal reception
area).

Regards,
Malcolm