[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Avalon.....dooohh

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Christopher Boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> Sorry...I have to correct this, I'm concius now and Al disks in the gap
> would be a bad thing....lol....unless I could insulate them from the
> shafting,,,,hmmmmmm

There would be nothing wrong with Al disks in a belt-drive system, see the 13M
for an example - the rotor arm is solid Al. In fact, direct drive using a
composite shaft section driving an Al rotor system would seem to be a good way
to go, looking at weight/stress balances. Besides, Al is a lot easier to
machine at this required accuracy level than most insulating materials you
would be looking at.

Don't go dooooh until you've considered all aspects of the gap... OK, the
flying 'trode velocity needs to be very high, but it will help finances and
maintenance (and safety) in the end if you keep the experimentation at this end
to the minimum.

I am trying to get a new residence at the moment, so unfortunately I can't make
a donation to Avalon just yet, but I'd pay $100 per member of my party (at
least!) to see the first firing....

Keep thinking on every plane...

Alex