Re: An inexpensive X-ray machine

At 07:47 AM 27/11/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "9737502 9737502" <9737502-at-student.ul.ie>
>
>I came across an article fo building an inexpensive X-ray machine but the
>interesting thing was the type of tesla coil used to power the machine.
>It was refered to as an oudin coil.  Does anyone know anything about
>this type of coil?
>Also, a kicker coil (as it was reffered to) was also used in the circuit.
>Does anyone know exactly how it contributes to the circuit?

Hello,

An Oudin coil differs from a Tesla coil mainly in that the bottom end of
the secondary is directly connected to the primary.  This creates a very
hazardous situation in that it's possible that the 60 Hz. from the power
transformer be it an NST, OBIT, or PIG could appear on the secondary and
deliver a lethal shock.

The kicker coil if I recall from an old text on early Tesla coils was in
essence an induction coil that had a vibrating set of contacts fixed to
the end of the core.  It worked on the same principle as a buzzer causing
the primary of the induction coil to have a varying magnetic field.  This
varying field caused a high voltage to be developed by the secondary of
the induction coil.  It was applied to a standard Tesla circuit.

I think the main reason for using a "kicker" was to allow the device to
be operated by both A.C. or D.C. power, which at the time was quite a
common occurance.  Batteries would provide the D.C. power for use where
no utility power was available.  No re-wiring or configuration changes
had to be made to switch from A.C. to D.C.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca