Re: Questions from a new coiler (all conceivable questions?)

Original poster: "Chris Dobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <cdobson-at-microtech-dot-com.au>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 6:15 AM
Subject: Questions from a new coiler (all conceivable questions?)
>snip<

> I plan on depottinng the NST's.  Would it be worthwhile to immerse them
> in transformer or some such oil, or just run them dry?  What solvent
> (for depotting) would be safest in terms of not eating away the coil
> wire insulation?  I'm not in a hurry, so after melting off what I can at
> low heat, I was planning on letting them just soak for as long as it
> takes, with perhaps an occasional light brushing.  Are there any
> solvents that are known to be bad for the insulation?
>snip<

Hi Bill,
as far as depotting goes, I found the best method was by slowly melting out
most of the tar with the tranny upside down, lid off, chicken wire to
restrain the core and a heat source against the upturned base of the case.
When the tar had stopped dripping, I snipped the wire connections and, using
oven gloves, lifted the core out and dunked it in a drum of mineral turps
(aka "white spirit") while still hot. I left this overnight, and ended up
with a very clean depotted tranny ! :^D

Regards

Chris