steam power

Original poster: "bob golding by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

Hi All,
    Ran my big coil at the museum this weekend to an appreciative
audience. I ran it for 5 minutes at a time once an hour though out the
day. I gave a brief introduction then let her rip. The audience was
underneath the coil behind a metal screen. I don't think we lost anybody

;-). At the end someone suggested that we try blasting steam at the coil

to see what would happen! After reading about someone running there coil

in the rain I thought we would give it a go. Besides I wasn't the one
holding the steam pipe :-) The results were spectacular. The sparks were
a lot longer than  normal and ran all round the toriod. There was no
sign of any flash over although the gap did
stop firing when steam got sucked into it. I just let the fan motor run
for a few seconds and it was ok again. Some photos of the coil running
in steam are at  http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/ The next trick will be to
try blasting the gap with a co2 fire extinguisher.

cheers
bob golding