RE: Ungrounded coil/toasted filter

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Ed:

I should first say that I agree 100% with the way you had the filters
hooked up, although hearing the result of your mishap is not exactly a
hearty endorsement!  Beyond hooking up the RF ground next time, the only
improvement I would suggest is to hook up a pair of MOV's at the input
end of your control cabinet from both Hot and Neutral to mains-ground
(still on my to-do list).  The nasty stuff coming back is common-mode,
not differential (i.e. relative to ground, not hot-neutral), so the MOV
that you had wired Hot-Neutral had no affect.

It's again interesting to note that not having any RF ground had no
impact on spark performance.  Most of us (including myself until just
recently) believed that a poor RF ground will result in poor
performance.  The real impact is one of how much EMI gets presented to
your mains wiring.

Normally with an RF ground connected, the voltage developed between the
RF ground and mains-ground is small enough that the chokes in the EMI
filter(s) can absorb it.  But the base of the secondary HAS TO "push"
against something, and with no RF ground, the full secondary base
current was flowing through your hot & neutral lines between the two EMI
filters.  The filter in your control cabinet has a pair of caps going
from both hot & neutral to mains ground, and after the chokes in the
filters arced over, the caps were seeing some very high voltages across
them until one of them let loose.

Live and learn, and thanks for sharing this!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Ed by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<edtrind-at-hotmail-dot-com>